What's New: Trading, Research, and Rebalancing
Schwab Advisor Center® has digital tools and resources to help you onboard new relationships, support your clients, and scale your business. Below you can learn about the latest enhancements and resources, or explore recent updates by clicking on a topic.
IRA distribution guided workflow now available
We have added an IRA distribution guided workflow to the Forms & Applications tab. Like the other digital workflows, it is easy to follow, reduces not-in-good-order issues, and minimizes delays and follow-up calls from your service team, leading to faster processing.
When you launch any guided workflow, you'll be taken through a step-by-step process that produces a completed PDF, which you can print for your clients' wet signature or upload through DocuSign for your clients' electronic approval.
To learn more, consult the Frequently Asked Questions
These guided workflows are also available:
- MoneyLink (ACH) Setup
- Transfer of Account Instructions
- Limited Power of Attorney (Investment Advisor)
- Designated Beneficiary Plan
- IRA Beneficiary
- Standing Instructions for Checks & Journals
- Prime Broker Amendment
- Add a Trusted Contact Person
- Options Trading & Margin Application
- Simple IRA Adoption Agreement
- Simple IRA Employer's Agreement
In the coming months, we will continue to expand these guided experiences to enable fully digital e-Authorization capability and cater to other popular account features.
April 2021 (0421-1NKM)
Consolidated view for researching managed account product information
You no longer need to navigate to two different areas of Schwab Advisor Center® to conduct managed account research. Now you can view and research all managed account product information in one consolidated section of Schwab Advisor Center by navigating to Managed Accounts under the Research tab.
New navigation includes:
- Overview: General information about managed accounts
- Money Managers: List of money managers
- Investment Strategies: List of strategies available in Marketplace, Access, and Select
- News: List of platform- and strategy-specific news
- Quick Links: List of links to help you navigate to other resources
We've also enhanced the search and filter capabilities on this page to help you find information quickly.
May 2020 (0520-0PK0)
Easily review important characteristics without manual calculations
You can now easily view regional allocations and value and growth measures when using the equity and fixed income portfolio analysis tool, providing valuable summary information for client portfolios without the need to manually calculate values.
On the Regions tab, you can see at a glance how the investments in a portfolio are invested across various geographical areas, while the Value and Growth tab makes it easy to ensure that portfolios remain aligned with clients' investment risk parameters.
You can access these new features on the Portfolio Analysis Equity tab from the Positions, Trading, or Trading Watchlist tabs on Schwab Advisor Center®. In addition, you can export these and other portfolio analysis tabs into Microsoft Excel®, either individually or in a group.
February 2020 (0220-0G32)
New enhancements improve visibility for cash positions
To continue to enhance the trading platform and improve flexibility, we recently introduced new improvements to the Trade from Positions page, including:
- Accounts Holding Cash: This new filter under Add Accounts lets you quickly view all accounts with cash available.
- Use the new Cash and Cash Equivalence column, along with the Estimated (Est.) Amount column to quickly evaluate the total available cash in the account and compare it with the estimated impact that an order will have on that total.
With these enhancements, it's even easier for traders to use available cash to create new positions without ever leaving the trading interface. We will continue enhancing the trade from positions feature in the coming months, to ensure that our tools support the way you trade.
January 2020 (0120-9MZP)
Reports cover important topics including ETFs, mutual funds, and more
As part of our ongoing effort to provide you with the information you need to make smart trading decisions for your clients, we have expanded the amount of timely market commentary from CFRA that’s available within the Research tab. You’ll find this content at the following locations:
- CFRA ETF Report for individual ETFs on the ETFs summary page
- CFRA Mutual Fund report for individual mutual funds on the Mutual Funds summary page
- CFRA Sam Stovall Sector Watch and CFRA Outlook commentary on the Market Reports page
We encourage you to explore these, and all of the other in-depth information available on the Research tab, today.
September 2019 (0919-9ZTG)
An easier way to use available cash to create new positions
To give you more flexibility in creating block trades, we’ve made several enhancements to the Trade from Positions tab on Schwab Advisor Center®.
- For both Master Accounts and Custom Groups, the “Symbol” field now provides an optional dropdown that displays all of the positions held in an account or group, along with the total number of shares or contracts for each position.
- A new "Add Accounts" field will let you select between filtering on accounts that hold a position for the security in the "Symbol" field, or accounts that do not hold a position for the security.
These enhancements are the first of several you will see coming to the Trade from Positions tab to help you create more efficient and streamlined trading workflows.
July 2019 (0719-9U2T
Portfolio Analysis update eliminates need to hand-calculate category totals
You can now easily view investment style and market cap totals when using the equity and fixed income portfolio analysis tool, providing valuable summary information for individual portfolios or when comparing against a chosen benchmark.
To view these totals, simply hover your mouse over an investment style or market cap category. In addition, you can now export analysis tabs into Microsoft Excel® — either individually or in a group.
Portfolio analysis tools can be accessed from the Positions, Trading, and Trading Watchlist tabs on Schwab Advisor Center®.
July 2019 (0719-9U2T)
Enhancements make Schwab Advisor StreetSmart Edge® even more customizable
Based on feedback from advisors like you, we've made our premier quotes and trading platform, customized exclusively for advisors, even better. The new features are designed to support the way you use Schwab Advisor StreetSmart Edge, with improvements to both the quotes-only and trading versions.
For all users:
- Now, you can monitor real-time prices across various time horizons, including year-to-date, through the price performance information available through the Watch List tool.
- To access this feature from the Watch List, click Actions > Columns & Settings, and choose the time periods you want to view from the Performance section.
For trading users:
- Use new functionality to create conditional orders and alerts, which only activate when certain conditions are met. These can be helpful in automating your trading approach and to stay informed.
- You'll find the new order type and alert option in the symbol hub and All In One Trade Tool, as well as in a number of other menus across the platform.
April 2019 (0419-9Y0X)
Mutual fund trading integration available through FIS and Fix Flyer
Schwab works with a broad range of third-party providers to help you drive efficiency and scale. Many leading providers—including Moxy, Blaze, Eze Castle, Orion, RedBlack, and Tamarac—use FIX Flyer or FIS to facilitate the routing of trade data using the FIX network. You can now use these third-party systems as your single point of entry for placing both equity and mutual fund trades, instead of managing these trades across multiple systems.
To get started, contact your OMS provider and let them know you would like to establish a FIX connection with FIS or FIX Flyer. To learn more about the benefits of trading integration, visit Schwab Advisor Center®.
January 2019 (0119-8V33)
Protect your clients' trade data with a secure online option
To help your clients who are enrolled in electronic trade confirmations enhance their accounts' data security, you can now choose between two delivery preferences for paperless trade confirmations. Choose:
- "Email" to receive full trade details within the body of the email or
- "Online" to receive an email that directs clients to log in online to view the trade details.
Currently, clients enrolled receive these notifications via an email containing all relevant details about the trade. The new delivery option reduces the amount of trade information provided through this email, requiring clients to log in to Schwab Alliance to view the complete details of the trade. This option was added to alleviate clients’ privacy concerns about receiving emails with full trade details.
Clients can already change this setting from Schwab Alliance, and now you can make this change on your client’s behalf from the Profiles page. Scroll down to find the Change Delivery Method link, and then select the Online option for the account’s confirmations.
If you have any questions about this functionality, please contact your service team.
Portfolio Analysis tool offers instant access to useful comparisons
Now, when you select an account, master, household, or custom group on the Positions, Order Trading, or Trade from Positions tabs, a new Portfolio Analysis option lets you enter a fund name—or even a target dated fund—and use it as a benchmark to generate an instant comparison.
This functionality compares the following attributes:
- Asset Allocations
- Equity Styles
- Fixed Income Styles
- Equity Sectors
- Fixed Income Sectors
This functionality, which is one of traders’ most frequently requested enhancements, provides timely decision support for trades, and makes it easy to review the impact of recently executed trades on the affected portfolio.
November 2018 (1118-889D)
New Portfolio Analysis feature offers deep insights and decision support
A new Portfolio Analysis link on the Order Entry tab now offers easy access to vital information about any account, including:
- Asset Allocations
- Equity Styles
- Equity Sectors
- Fixed Income Styles
- Fixed Income Sectors
This important new feature, which delivers Morningstar data that you can easily access within your standard trading workflows, helps you access the analytics you need to make better trading decisions for your clients. And as soon as trades are executed, you can review their impact on the overall portfolio.
This is the latest enhancement in our ongoing effort to create tools that support your trading workflows, and allow you to trade your way.
July 2018 (0718-8SUV)
Import client positions into a Watch List to easily monitor securities held in portfolios
We recently added a View Positions link on the Trading > Equity, MF, Options > Watch List tab that you can use to import up to 100 positions for any sub-account, custom group (e.g., households), or master account. This new functionality makes it easy to track any changes to existing client positions as you receive pulsing market updates throughout the day.
You can even create a custom view to monitor client positions. For example, you can add security ratings, P/E ratios, and other analytical data.
May 2018 (0518-8EAB)
Our new premier trading and real-time quotes platform
Schwab Advisor StreetSmart Edge® is our new, cloud-based solution for trading and quotes. It has been customized specifically to meet the needs of firms like yours, and fit seamlessly into your existing workflows. The platform offers:
- Flexibility, with two versions available—quotes only or trading*, to meet your firm's needs
- Secure, cloud-based access from any operating system or browser, and integration with the web trading platform on Schwab Advisor Center®
- Customizable news feeds, including live streaming of CNBC TV
- Enhanced charting and comprehensive research tools
- Complementary streaming quotes via the Cboe Equities One Feed
- Premium Level 1 and Level 2 quote feeds from a variety of providers
We encourage you to explore the platform with our illustrated guide. More information on free and premium quote feeds is available in our pricing guide. If you have any additional questions, please contact the trading desk.
March 2018 (0318-8DH6)
*Trading features require a subscription to premium quote feeds. See pricing guide for details.
Cost basis tools help with tax preparation and ongoing cost basis analysis
To help manage cost basis data on your clients' Schwab accounts and serve your clients better:
- Recently, we added a "u" field value on the Cost Basis > Unrealized Gain/Loss tab to help identify situations when Schwab received an incoming cost basis report from the transferring custodian but the cost basis is unknown. Now we added a similar "u" field to the Cost Basis > Realized Gain/Loss tab.
- As a reminder, cost basis data file types are available through Schwab Data Delivery®, providing cost basis information at a master account level. These files, which contain daily unrealized gain/loss information and realized gain/loss information going back two years, even support integration with your portfolio management system and tools for comparing your records with Schwab's. In addition, third-party providers can access technical specifications for Schwab data downloads to reuse the cost basis data provided in the files we make available.
Questions? Contact Advisor Platform Support at 800-647-5465.
February 2018 (0218-8T9W)
For advisor use only. For general educational purposes.
Any investments reflected are for illustrative purposes only and are not intended to be nor should they be construed as a recommendation to buy, sell, or continue to hold any investment. Screen shots are for illustrative purposes only, may be historical in nature, and should not be used as a basis for any investment decision.
Schwab Advisor Services™ includes the custody, trading, and support services of Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. ("Schwab"), a registered broker-dealer and member SIPC, and the technology products and services of Performance Technologies, Inc. ("PTI"). PTI and Schwab are separate companies affiliated as subsidiaries of The Charles Schwab Corporation, but their products and services are independent of each other. PTI’s integration solutions integrate data about accounts custodied at Schwab.
API integration is available through Schwab OpenView Gateway®, which is provided by PTI. Single sign-on is provided by PTI. Daily data files and trading integration are available through Schwab. Schwab OpenView Gateway® and Schwab OpenView MarketSquare™ are services of PTI.
References to third parties (whether such parties are vendors participating in a service of PTI or independent advisors using a service of a participating vendor) are not an endorsement or recommendation of, or an opinion (favorable or unfavorable), or advice about, or a referral to any product or service of any third party. Advisors are solely responsible for evaluating, selecting, and purchasing products and services offered by third party vendors. Unless indicated otherwise, third parties are independent and not affiliated with PTI or its affiliates.
Schwab Performance Technologies® ("SPT") provides technology solutions to independent investment advisors, while Schwab provides them and their clients with custody, trading, and related support services. SPT and Schwab are separate companies affiliated as subsidiaries of The Charles Schwab Corporation, but their products and services are independent from each other.
Schwab Advisor Portfolio Connect™ is a product of SPT.
Institutional Intelligent Portfolios ("IIP") is a technology and service platform made available by SPT to independent advisors who maintain a business relationship with Schwab Advisor Services.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. and Charles Schwab Bank are separate but affiliated companies and subsidiaries of The Charles Schwab Corporation. Brokerage products, including the Schwab One® brokerage account, are offered by Charles Schwab & Co., Inc., Member SIPC. Deposit and lending products are offered by Charles Schwab Bank, Member FDIC and an Equal Housing Lender.
Schwab affiliates earn revenue from the underlying assets in Institutional Intelligent Portfolios® accounts. This revenue comes from managing Schwab ETFs™ or Schwab Funds® and providing services relating to certain third-party funds that can be selected for the portfolio, and from the cash feature on the accounts. Revenue may also be received from the market centers where ETF trade orders are routed for execution. Tax-loss harvesting is available for clients with invested assets of $50,000 or more in their Institutional Intelligent Portfolios account. Clients must be enrolled to receive this service. Cash balances held in the Sweep Program at Schwab Bank are eligible for FDIC insurance up to allowable limits per depositor, per account ownership category.