The Shift: New perspectives on leadership
Seth Mattison of FutureSight Labs delivers a 20 minute seminar on his observations of trends in leadership and organizational structure. He explains how firms across all industries are experiencing a transformational shift from traditional workplace values to incorporate more contemporary views and approaches.
Hierarchy and information hoarding—the old model
- Unwritten rules: information flows down, it's a world of scarcity, you must compete, start at the bottom and work your way up.
- Hierarchy can be represented as an organizational chart or family tree.
- This structure has permeated our society, its institutions, even its language.
Networks and information sharing—the new model
- Unwritten rules: access and immediacy, the organizational chart has flattened—parents and leaders have become peers.
- Best illustrated as a network, life imitates the web.
Letting go of the rules—creating a functional culture
- Develop a culture where leaders no longer see themselves leading from the top of the chart but instead from the center.
- Leaders who balance the best of both worlds will get ahead.
FutureSight Labs and Seth Mattison are not affiliated with Charles Schwab & Co. Inc.
This material is intended for an institutional audience. For informational purposes only.