Are you an RIA?
Today's students are the future of the RIA industry. Schwab is committed to developing and driving young talent to RIA firms such as yours. Our summer internship program is one of the ways we do this. We designed the eight-week program to provide undergraduate students in financial planning programs with real-life work experience and equip them with a well-rounded understanding of the inner workings of an RIA firm.
As an RIA and client of Schwab, you have the opportunity to connect with the next generation of RIA industry talent.
- Host an intern—For interns, the time they spend at an RIA firm office is the highlight of their eight-week rotational program. If your firm is located in the Phoenix area and you’d like to host an intern in July, please contact your Schwab Relationship Manager for more details.
- Meet the interns—We think many high-potential employees of the next generation need to better understand why working for an RIA firm is a worthy career aspiration. Who better to hear from than you or other members of your firm? If you would like to join the interns for an informal roundtable lunch in our Phoenix office and share your perspectives and insights, please contact your Schwab Relationship Manager.
- Hire an intern—Recruit program alumni who are interested in opportunities at RIA firms. We maintain a resume book, and your Schwab Relationship Manager can provide you with more details.
What do RIA interns learn at Schwab?
Through a series of rotations, interns gain experience in areas such as Schwab's role as a custodian, client service and support, trading support, portfolio construction, and financial planning. The following summary provides a sample of the various rotations and training sessions from our most recent program. Each week is different and has been designed to build upon the lessons of the prior weeks.
|Week 1||Intern orientation & RIA overview
|Week 2||Advisor Custody and Trading client experience
|Week 3||Schwab Advisor Services™ client support
|Week 4||Technical skills development
|Week 5||RIA firm on-site experience rotation
|Week 6||Portfolio consulting & financial planning
|Week 8||Professional development
|Weeks 1-8||Final presentation development
Why hire alumni of the Schwab Advisor Services RIA Internship Program?
Alumni of the Schwab Advisor Services RIA Internship Program have gained a comprehensive understanding of and training in the RIA model and custodial relationship. These driven individuals also bring real-world work experience within an RIA firm. If you custody with Schwab, you can leverage our RIA Intern Program Alumni Resume Book to help source your next hire. The alumni resume book lists individuals who have completed our intern program and are now actively seeking employment with RIA firms.
Find Top Talent
Schwab’s Career Opportunity Service is an online employment database developed specifically to help independent investment advisors in their search for new talent. The service also helps connect advisors to students seeking internships.
- Easy-to-complete online job posting
- Access to a searchable database of financial services professionals
- Message Center to communicate directly with candidates of interest
- Automatic email alerts about new candidate listings
We’ve made it easier than ever to create your career listing.
Easy 2-step process.
- Create a personal access code and provide your contact details.
- Input information about your available position.