Thinking about a career with an independent Registered Investment Advisory (RIA) firm? Schwab's unique Advisor Services RIA Summer Internship Program can reveal new opportunities for your future by helping you understand how RIA firms operate and serve their clients.
RIAs have a unique place in the financial services industry: Many RIA firms are owned and operated by individual investment advisors. These advisors believe their independence is instrumental to offering advice based on their clients' best interests.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Completed three years of college-level education toward a related BA or BS degree
- Finished courses focused on CFP® certification/financial planning
- An anticipated graduation date between December 2020 through May 2022
- Interest in RIA and/or financial services operations
- Knowledge of financial products and services, combined with extracurricular activities geared toward a career in the financial service industry
This internship is a paid position lasting eight weeks.
- The 2020 internship program will run from June 18 - July 31, 2020.
- Program to be held in Phoenix, AZ.
- Interviews are conducted and offers are extended on a rolling basis.
The Schwab Advisor Services RIA Internship Program is an eight-week educational internship designed to prepare undergraduate students for employment within RIA firms. You will learn about the independent RIA industry, the advisory profession, and how advisors and Schwab work together to accomplish the goals of risk management and client asset protection. You'll gain corporate work experience and exposure to back- and front-office RIA firm operations, build practical skills that will enable you to effectively interact with clients, and gain an understanding of the importance of client service.
As an intern, you will learn how RIAs serve their clients. Through a series of educational training sessions, you will gain experience in areas including client service, trading support, portfolio construction, and financial planning. This internship will also focus on soft skills, such as presentation development, public speaking, and professional relationship building.
The following summary provides a sample of the various rotations and training sessions from our most recent program. Each week is different and has been designed to build upon the lessons of the prior weeks.
|Week 1||Intern orientation & RIA overview
|Week 2||Schwab Advisor Services™ (AS) custody and service experience
|Week 3||AS client support
|Week 4||Professional and industry skills development
|Week 5||RIA firm on-site experience
|Week 6||Portfolio consulting & financial planning
|Week 7||Trade support and networking
|Week 8||Professional development
|Weeks 1-8||Final presentation development