Personal Trust Services
With billions of assets migrating to trusts, advisors like you face new challenges. Whether you are currently managing trust assets or looking to do so, we know many clients are looking for holistic wealth management solutions.
Schwab's Personal Trust Services offers you an easy way to manage your clients' trust assets with a combination of trust expertise and knowledge, coupled with a single online system that provides maximum flexibility, control, and efficiency. We've created a comprehensive system that integrates trust accounting into our online custody and trading system, schwabadvisorcenter.com. Our trust offering includes administrative corporate trustee services as well as support for individual trustees.
Administrative Trustee Services1: Take advantage of the growing trust market
Easily manage personal trust assets for your clients who require a corporate trustee by engaging the administrative trustee services of Charles Schwab Trust Company of Delaware (CSTCD). You retain all investment management responsibilities for assets of eligible trusts, while CSTCD offers cost-efficient support by performing the fiduciary administrative duties for the trust.
When you work with CSTCD, you and your clients benefit. Take advantage of:
- Collaborative thinking—Consult with CSTCD's knowledgeable, professional trust officers, and offer your clients an enhanced level of experienced service.
- Professional knowledge—Administer the complexities of a trust with CSTCD expertise.
- Administrative objectivity—Engage an objective, corporate professional fiduciary to serve as trustee instead of an individual family member can avoid potential conflicts in trust administration.
CSTCD, as administrative trustee, handles a range of day-to-day responsibilities, freeing you to focus on asset management, client retention and growth strategies. Fiduciary administrative tasks include:
- Income and principal distributions made according to the trust document
- Accounting and recordkeeping of trust activity
- Preparation and filing of federal and state tax returns
- Monthly reporting of trust assets and activity provided to you and your clients
Trust Reporting Services: Let Schwab handle the details
As a separate service, Personal Trust Reporting Services (PTRS) delivers trust accounting and back-office support, including principal and income trust reporting and recordkeeping, for you and your clients who serve as trustee themselves. This service offers a single, fully integrated trust accounting and trading platform for trust and non-trust assets.
PTRS provides trust accounting functions that include:
- Detailed trust accounting, including automated separation of principal and income
- Payment of scheduled disbursements to beneficiaries and third parties (calculated and fixed), upon trustee direction
- Online access to process disbursements, code trust-related principal and income, obtain tax information, and add comments to transactions
- Trust accounting reports, including a brokerage statement with supplemental trust reporting and a separate Trust Report
- Tax worksheets for trustees and tax preparers including complete trust tax and expense reporting, supplementing the brokerage 1099
- Recordkeeping of personal tangible and intangible property owned by the trust but not held at Schwab (e.g., real estate, collectibles, partnership interests, etc.)
PTRS is supported through your Advisor Services Service Team backed by our dedicated trust operations team.
To learn more about Schwab's trust services, contact our Trust Services Consulting Team at 800-745-7721. Or, visit the Personal Trust Reporting Services and Administrative Trustee Services sections of the Service Guide, and the Personal Trust Reporting Services and Administrative Trust Services fact sheets.
Contact us by phone or via our online contact form to find a local representative.
All inquiries are confidential.
1. Corporate Administrative Trustee Services are provided by Charles Schwab Trust Company of Delaware ("CSTCD"). CSTCD and Charles Schwab & Co., Inc., are separate but affiliated companies and wholly owned subsidiaries of The Charles Schwab Corporation. Schwab Advisor Services™ is a business segment of Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. serving independent investment advisors. CSTCD serves as the administrative trustee of trusts whose investments are managed by independent investment advisory firms that do business with Schwab Advisor Services and are selected solely by the trust's grantor or beneficiaries to provide investment advisory services for the trust. These advisory firms are not owned by, affiliated with or supervised by The Charles Schwab Corporation, CSTCD, Charles Schwab & Co., or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. Schwab Advisor Services and Charles Schwab Bank provide custody, securities brokerage, and related back-office services to the trusts for which CSTCD serves as administrative trustee.
© 2020 Charles Schwab Trust Company of Delaware. All rights reserved.